Weight loss is often accompanied by health problems, hair loss, and deterioration of the skin. But not in this case. The Mediterranean diet helps to lose weight, rejuvenate and improve general well-being.
The essence of the Mediterranean diet
It is the only UNESCO-approved diet recognized as a truly safe weight loss system. On the contrary, it can improve the general condition of the body, does not contradict the canons of proper nutrition, but has its own approach to dieting. There are many foods in the classic Mediterranean diet that are banned by other weight loss systems.
The essence of the diet is the daily consumption of food in the diet of the Mediterranean population. Thick and obese people are rarely found among Spaniards, Italians, Libyans, Moroccans. Mortality from cancer and cardiovascular disease is low in these countries. They lead the way in the life expectancy of the locals.
What are the benefits of a Mediterranean diet?
This system was not invented by nutritionists, it was not written in laboratories, but was formed over the centuries in certain places. The menu of the Mediterranean diet does not contain artificial products, preservatives, semi-finished products that will already have a positive effect on human health.
The benefits of this diet:
- Protects against cardiovascular diseases, lowers cholesterol, dissolves existing plaque, prevents the formation of blood clots, atherosclerosis.
- Maintains mental clarity, has a positive effect on brain activity. This diet can prevent Alzheimer's disease.
- Nutrition under this system protects against stomach, intestinal and breast cancer.
- Lowers blood sugar, prevents the development of diabetes, as well as insulin resistance.
- Boosts immunity, helps the body recover faster from serious illnesses, long-term use of drugs.
It is based on products that provide strength and have a positive emotional background. It is believed that the diet of the Mediterranean miracles not only prolongs life expectancy but also affects quality. Only an energetic, cheerful, active person can live 100% every day.
Basic principles of nutrition
It is immediately worth dispelling the myth that food under this system is expensive. The Mediterranean cleansing diet is rich in a variety of products. It is not necessary to eat only shrimp or delicacies, you can always pick up budget analogues.
- Not enough fat, it’s not fried sausages or cakes from the pan. This is especially useful for extra virgin olive oil. You can safely water salads and other dishes without worrying about the caloric content of your daily diet.
- Lots of vegetables and fruits. The Mediterranean diet allows even grapes, bananas, banned by other systems. Plant foods should be included in every meal.
- Dairy Products. It is worth focusing on natural yogurt, sour milk, sour fried milk. It is not necessary to use fermented dairy products with sugar, dyes or flavors in the composition. If you want, you can always add berries or honey.
- Fish and seafood. Like vegetables, this category is the basis of nutrition. These products should be on the daily menu.
- White meat. Do not use often, enough 3-4 times a week, less often. At the heart of chicken, rabbit, quail you can sometimes get lamb.
- Cereals. The diet of the Mediterranean diet may include brown rice, durum wheat pasta, buckwheat, pearls may be used. Legumes are essential.
- Red wine. You can drink up to two glasses a day, served for lunch or dinner. It is important to choose a natural wine without preservatives and excess sugar.
- Eggs. Yes, but not more than one per day
- A variety of natural spices and all kinds of fresh and dried herbs are welcome. You can eat nuts and seeds.
- Bread and rye cakes are pastries made from whole grain flour.
Drinking not only wine (although it is very pleasant) but also clean water is important in a Mediterranean healthy diet. The minimum daily amount is 1, 5 liters. Welcome green tea, natural fruit drinks on fresh berries, water with lemon. Just don’t make healthy drinks a source of carbs by adding sugar or honey. The taste buds need to be cleaned.
Weight loss speed, duration
This system does not promise to lose 15 kg per month or 40 kg in six months. Following a Mediterranean diet, the weight decreases gradually without causing stress to the body. With the right choice, a person will lose 3-4 kg per month, but it all depends on the initial data.
If you eat a Mediterranean diet menu for a long time to lose weight, very soon your old habits will be forgotten, other foods will take over your favorite dishes, the right diet will become a way of life. The Mediterranean diet is not limited in time, it can be followed at any time, because the people of Morocco, Italy, Greece and Spain eat something similar.
List of prohibited products
The weight loss diet according to the Mediterranean diet can be made on your own, only approximate menu options are given below. The most important thing is not to add prohibited products. This is especially true of refined blends of sunflower oil, sugar, spices with glutamate and other preservatives.
What not to follow in the diet:
- sausages, hams, semi-finished products;
- pure sugar, limited honey;
- sweet drinks, candies, prepared desserts;
- any cakes made from white flour;
- fats, bacon, fatty meats and dairy products.
The easiest way to avoid mistakes with dishes is to cook for yourself. Cafes and restaurants mostly use cheap oil instead of the freshest vegetables, poor quality meat and fish.
The Mediterranean diet for weight loss: a menu for every day
Here is an example of how you can eat in this system. You can then adjust the diet to your work or study schedule, personal taste. Also, it is not necessary to eat different dishes every day, something can be prepared for several lunches or dinners.
The Mediterranean diet for weight loss includes minimally processed foods. Prolonged cooking, stewing and marinating reduce the amount of nutrients. And the preparation of simple groats, soups and salads does not take much time.
|Breakfast||avocado toasts with mozzarella, tomato, tea||cottage cheese casserole with bananas, tea||egg, mozzarella and pieces of 10 cherries||flake bread, a slice of cheese, 2 cucumbers||brown rice with cheese and herbs||pasta with shrimp and cheese||Omelet with green beans and tomato|
|Snack||orange||A glass of tomato juice||fruit salad with yogurt||soft curd||Grape||Orange juice||pineapple|
|Dinner||stewed vegetables with chicken, a large bunch of greens||cream soup with shrimps||vegetable stew with meat, tomato juice||soup with mussels and cheese||fresh tomato gaspacho, a piece of grilled fish||broccoli soup with fried shrimp||brown rice, squid in cream, vegetable juice|
|afternoon tea||apple, curd||cocktails with vegetables||glass of yogurt||vegetable salad with olives||fruit salad with nuts and yogurt||tuna toast, any juice||slice of bread, salted fish, tea|
|Dinner||pasta with seafood and cheese, vegetables||brown rice pilaf with chicken and vegetables||fried fish with rice, vegetable salad||fried chicken, carrot and cheese salad||pasta with green beans, mussels||fish stew with tomatoes and vegetables||pasta with shrimps, cherry tomatoes and cream|
Do not forget that all dietary dishes are prepared with olive oil, it is also used to prepare salads, you can add lemon juice, various spices. You can also add a glass of red wine to any meal.
The classic Mediterranean diet does not limit the number of meals, but it is important not to overeat. Most menu options have five. You can add an extra dinner or remove the second breakfast, which is also a snack.
The Mediterranean diet for weight loss: a menu for every day
Many people say that the Mediterranean diet is very expensive and the quality of frozen seafood leaves a lot to be desired. It is also difficult to find real olive oil. But in this case, it can be replaced by other unrefined fats. Suitable for linseed, walnut, hemp oil, pumpkin seeds. You can use edible coconut oil for your diet.
Keep in mind that the Mediterranean diet (weekly menu below) includes economical cooking methods. The oil can be used in any quantity, but only for refueling. You can lubricate the product before grilling or in the oven. It should not be used for baking, diet dishes are better prepared in a dry pan or lightly greased with the thinnest layer.
|Breakfast||zucchini scones with garlic and sour cream sauce||raisin stew||oatmeal with nuts||cheese sandwich, boiled egg, tea||pumpkin porridge with rice||muesli with yogurt||sandwich with fish|
|Snack||bananas||grapefruit||Pomegranate||Apple||vegetable salad||fruit juice, egg||pumpkin puree|
|Dinner||fish soup without potatoes from any fish, rye bread||stewed vegetables, a toast, a piece of cooked meat||vegetable soup, a piece of fish, a slice of bread||pasta with cheese and squid, vegetables||creamy soup with chicken and vegetables, tortillas||cabbage soup in fish broth with beans||stewed vegetables with beans, slightly salted herring|
|afternoon tea||yogurt||fruit and milkshake||curd with apple||fruit salad||cucumber and herb cocktail||curd with nuts||tomato juice|
|Dinner||Greek salad with cheese and olives||fish cakes (cooked, fried), cabbage salad||pasta and cheese, carrot salad with nuts||fish stuffed with vegetables, cucumber salad with sour cream and dill||buckwheat with chicken, tomato||chicken stew with cream, cabbage salad||grilled vegetables, a piece of pike|
Seafood is virtually non-existent in the Mediterranean diet menu here, but you can sometimes include it in your diet if you wish. For example, add shrimp to a salad or have a snack with a sea cocktail.
Mediterranean diet: recipes from the weekly menu
At the top of the diet menu are many interesting dishes that are also simple and quick to prepare. They are perfect for morning, afternoon and evening meals. Here are the most interesting recipes.
Creamy soup with chicken and vegetables
Following the Mediterranean diet, the weekly menu often includes creamy soups. They are good for the stomach, well-saturated and easy to prepare. Here’s a basic recipe with vegetables.
- 300 g chicken fillet;
- 300 g of broccoli (you can cauliflower);
- 100 g of carrots;
- 100 g of onions;
- 200 g zucchini or pumpkin;
- 150-200 ml of cream;
- spices to taste.
- Cut the chicken, soak in 800 ml of boiling water, then add the carrots and onions and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini, broccoli for another five minutes, lightly salt. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Mash the chicken with the vegetables, add the spices to taste. Dilute the soup with cream, bring to a boil again and you can already serve it!
In winter, you can use a mixture of frozen vegetables for such a soup. It is also not necessary to dilute the dish with cream, you can add a little more water at first.
Pasta with cheese and squid
This dish is on the menu above every day to lose weight following a Mediterranean diet. Buying squid at the store is no problem now, but they are prepared very easily and quickly.
- 1 squid;
- 200 g of pasta;
- 150 ml cream 10%;
- 0, 5 teaspoons of olive oil;
- 70 g of cheese.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions, but cook for a minute shorter. Drain in a colander.
- Heat the pan, lightly grease with oil.
- We clean the squid, remove the ridge, cut into strips. Pour and bake for literally a minute, be sure to stir with a spatula.
- Pour the squid cream, bring to a boil, start with half the grated cheese, allow to melt and salt.
- Add the pasta, stir quickly, bring to a boil and turn off. Leave ten minutes under the lid.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese when serving.
You can also cook a sauce with shrimp or other dietary seafood. The only thing is to use low-fat cream so as not to increase the calories in the dish.
Greek salad with cheese and olives
These salads are a great substitute for lunch, dinner on a diet, especially in the summer. It fully meets the requirements of the diet.
- 2 cucumbers;
- 2 tomatoes;
- 0, 5 red onions;
- 1 pepper;
- 15 ml of lemon juice;
- 1 pinch pepper;
- 100 g of feta cheese;
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive);
- 10-12 olives.
- Cut the cucumbers. Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and cut them as well. Cut the red onion into very thin half rings. Pour into a salad bowl.
- Cut the peppers into thin strips and cut into cubes the feta, olive quarters, add to the remaining products.
- Mix lemon juice with oil, add salt and pepper. Pour over the salad. Stir while serving.
You can add any greens, use cherry tomatoes instead of the usual tomatoes or replace the olive oil with Greek yogurt. A great sauce is also obtained.
Mediterranean diet for the elderly
It has already been mentioned that a Mediterranean diet helps prevent Alzheimer's disease. It has a positive effect on the brain, there will be an escape from senile dementia. Nutrition under this system also works well for other internal organs, but in old age it is recommended to give up wine, as well as change the composition of some dishes. Here is a sample weekly menu for the Mediterranean diet for the elderly. It meets all the requirements of an aging organism.
|Breakfast||oatmeal with raisins||cheese cakes from the oven, fruit puree||steam omelette with green beans||millet porridge with pumpkin||pumpkin roast, sour cream||omelette with fish fillet||Fruit curd|
|Snack||pumpkin puree||orange||Apple juice||serving soft curd||vegetable salad||Peking cabbage salad with olives, lemon and herbs||salad with carrots and walnuts|
|Dinner||stewed vegetables, minced fish cutlet||vegetable soup, a piece of fish||buckwheat soup without potatoes||chicken soup puree, black bread||soup with rice and tomatoes, compote||Casserole with cauliflower and cheese||cauliflower soup, bread|
|afternoon tea||curd||glass of kefir||banana and yogurt cocktail||tomato juice||curd||vegetable cocktail with leafy greens||any fruit|
|Dinner||buckwheat with fish cutlets and tomato sauce||vegetable stew with fish||vegetable salad, chicken cutlet||fried fish, vegetable puree||stewed chicken with pasta||fish aspicas, 10 olives, 1 tomato||a piece of chicken, brown rice, tomato juice|
Mediterranean Diet Reviews
First review, female, 34 y
I have been on such a diet for the second year in a row, I got used to not wanting red meat, I gave up animal fat, but I included chia seeds in the main diet, I used quinoa instead of rice. My weight dropped from 82 to 57 kg all the time. It was gradual, not all at once. I noticed that the clothes were getting looser, the stomach was much smaller, and the scales made me happy.
Second review, female, 25 m
It all started out weird for me, I first saw a friend’s weekly menu with Mediterranean diet slimming recipes, only then did I start to delve into what the system was like. I immediately liked that everything was simple, didn’t require anything complicated to produce, just for me. We sat down with my friend in general, she supported me, but she came out of the race first. I followed a diet for the fifth month, my health improved noticeably, I felt alert, I started to sleep well, I lost 9 kg. However, the initial weight was low (67 kg, 164 cm).
Third review, woman, 47 m
I’ve never had a problem with weight, but menopause came very early. From the age of 44 I started to gain weight fast, so +20 kg per year. The endocrinologist told me about the diet, I liked the very idea of such a diet, but I adapted it a bit for myself, like giving up wine. I can not drink, the body is poorly tolerated, constant heartburn. But I afford pomegranate juice.
Fourth review, woman, 38 years old
I heard about the "miraculous" diet in the Mediterranean from my doctor, decided to study this diet and switched to it smoothly. I had neither Mondays nor schedules. I just gradually switched from a regular diet to a systemic one. I lost 11 kg in parallel.
Contraindications to diet
Despite high ratings, awards and many positive reviews, the Mediterranean system has contraindications.
Who should not follow a diet:
- in people with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, an abundance of fiber can provoke pain attacks;
- people who have suffered from serious illnesses undergoing surgery.
Also, do not follow this diet if you do not tolerate fish or seafood. Everyone should evaluate in advance how much they follow the diet, whether he can follow such a diet in the Mediterranean diet menu to lose weight.